Keel repair...
    Florent(Virus)

Keel repair...

par Florent(Virus) » ven. 11 sept. 2009 14:57

Hi guys,

I'm sure you've both been out on the water plenty this year. Me; not once. Baby Number 2 and a house move have put everything else on hold.

However, I thought I'd send you a few pictures of the last job I did before other matters took centre stage... Around April this year.

I built a wooden boat cradle, as per the first photo, that allowed me to roll my trailer out from under the boat. Very effective. I've finished with the cradle now but will keep it for the next major job.
    Cradle.jpg
    With the trailer out of the way I planned to drop the keel.

Similar to the reports by other owners on the blog, I had some trouble actually "dropping" the keel. After looking at various comments about how the pivot mounts may have been enthusiastically bonded to the GRP hull, I spent a bit more time looking at the problem myself, not convinved any adhesive or sealant could hold that much weight. Eventually the issue presented itself. Looking at how I'd lowered the keel onto it's "tail" end first, by using the keel lowering mechinism as if I was actually on the water, I think what happened when I removed the 4 keel bolts was that the mass of the keel was actually trying to fall forwards, towards the boats bows, pivoting on the tail end of the keel that was touching the ground. This forced rotation was jamming the keel pivot bracket into the hull. I tested the theory by taking a long length of 3 x 3 inch timber and using it as a lever under the keel, I raised the tail end of the keel off the ground.

Thump.

The keel dropped. In a controlled fashion of course. No panic at all. Honest.

The keel was a rusty mess up where it had been hidden in the keel box. I cleaned it up with paint stripper, a grinder and wire brushes, then gave it 3 coats of epoxy primer. Plus 2 top coats of epoxy. I am a little concerned that there isn't much metal left at the point where the keel lowering mechanism attaches, but there's enough to hold the keels weight when out of the water, so for now I will brush this little worry under the carpet. If the metal in this area does fail, I think the worst that could happen will be a rather difficult recovery onto the trailer after sailing; nothing life threatening.
    Keel box and keel bolt holes.jpg
    Before.jpg
    After.jpg
    Screw mechanism attachment.jpg
    Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed the reasonably good weather this year. I've certainly noticed quite a few "good sailing days". Not to worry, there's always next year.

Cheers

Dan